Question: I’d like to keep our grass and groundcover separated. What type of edging works best?

Answer: You need a type that extends 3 to 4 inches into the ground and that doesn’t have open cracks or seams. Baked-enamel metal edging works well. It’s flexible, yet durable. It can be made to fit almost any type of configuration. There are molded plastic pieces that are similar to the metal edging, and you can also use concrete edging stones, bricks, river rocks or even decay-resistant wood. Your edging should be inserted deeply into the soil, with not more than 1/2-inch extending above grade. If it works up and out of the soil in time, hammer it back in.

Back To Top